Gauteng – 9 and 10 July 2019
Contact us on email@example.com
Cost: R4 850 (excluding VAT)
The aim of the workshop is to enable participants to understand their role as a minute taker, as well as how to take accurate minutes, which would serve as an enabler for the committee/board/associations to achieve its goals.
The nature of the workshop is such that it allows for participative interaction, discussions and practical and theoretical exercises. Delegates will have the opportunity to improve on their report writing skills. They will receive feedback from the facilitator and will be encouraged to share their experiences.
Who should attend?
If you are responsible for the taking of committee/board/associations or executive level minutes then this training is for you.
The training session will be divided between the theory of meetings and minutes as set out below with an emphasis on practical training sessions.
● The responsibilities of company secretary in regard to assisting in the drafting of the agenda, matters arising/action lists and annual meeting planners
● Differences between round robin resolutions and taking resolutions at board meetings.
● What is meant by a quorum and proxy (incl. whether a director can appoint a proxy?)
● Voting – who can vote, how many votes are required to approve a resolution
● Numbering of resolutions
● Declarations of interests
● Understand the importance of transcribing accurate minutes and the role of the minute taker in the meeting
● Understand the governance of meetings and the duties of directors ito the Companies Act
● Samples of case law and practical examples on the use of minutes in law
● Importance of recording who attends meetings, maintenance of attendance registers etc
● Obtaining the approval from attendees as to whether the meetings can be recorded electronically, and the pro’s and con’s thereof
● Understand what skills are required by a minute taker in order to take effective minutes
● Understand what content should be recorded
● General complaints and challenges minute takers face
● Drafting a meeting management process / timeline to suit your organisation
● Understand formal meeting procedure
● Learn how to record formal minutes (Board, Committee, Associations, Exco)
● Identify and minute action items and resolutions
Note that delegates must please bring their laptops for the practical portions of the training
EXTRACTS FROM PAST DELEGATES’ EVALUATIONS
● The facilitators are highly knowledgeable in the subject matter, and advice given was very insightful.
● Exceeded my expectations
● Enjoyed the practical sessions which have given me the confidence to record meetings effectively.
● Very interactive with many practical examples given.
● Given me the confidence to attend meetings and transcribe the minutes.
● After this course I am passionate about minute taking.
● Very informative course. The facilitator was very good and patient.
● It made me rethink my processes and it will assist with working more effectively. It highlights the importance of having to know the legalities to assist a Board.
● The course was thoroughly and efficiently explained. The practical work makes the theory more relevant and easier to understand.
● Both lecturers were professional and knowledgeable of their work.
● It was greatly refreshing and lecturers have the knowledge and skill that made me understand the content. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Two Full days: 09h00 – 16h00 each day