Training Fees: R4,050 excluding VAT
This course reflects on the governance of shareholders’ meetings including the Companies Act 71 of 2008 requirements. The course is an introduction to shareholders meetings from beginning to end, with a focus on annual general meetings.
The purpose of shareholders’ meetings is to provide the shareholders of a company with an opportunity to debate and vote on matters affecting that company. The Act gives shareholders certain substantive powers which include, among others, the power to amend the MOI of the company, the power to elect and remove directors, and the power to approve the disposal of all or the greater part of the company’s assets and other fundamental transactions.
A Shareholder Meeting is the principal forum in which directors account to shareholders for their stewardship of the company
The nature of the workshop is such that it allows for participative interaction, discussions and practical and theoretical exercises. They will receive feedback from the facilitator and will be encouraged to share their experiences.
Who should attend?
If you are a shareholder or if you are responsible for preparing, attending and minuting shareholders meetings, then this course is for you.
The training session will be divided between:-
- Part A – Introduction
- Part B – Before the Shareholders' Meeting
- Part C – During the Shareholders' Meeting
- Part D – After the Shareholders' Meeting
PART A - INTRODUCTION
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Why Do We Hold Shareholders’ Meetings
- 3. AGM Overview
- 4. Role-players During Shareholders Meetings
PART B – BEFORE THE SHAREHOLDERS' MEETING
- 5. Who Must Hold a Shareholders Meeting
- 6. Who May Call a Shareholders Meeting
- 7. Location of Shareholders’ Meeting
- 8. When Must a Shareholders Meeting be Called
- 9. Different Types of Shareholder Meetings
- 10. Items to be Tabled at a Shareholders Meeting
- 11. Calling a Shareholders’ Meeting
- 12. Record Date for Shareholders’ Meeting
- 13. Preparing for Shareholders’ Meeting
PART C – DURING THE SHAREHOLDERS' MEETING
- 14. Quorum at Shareholders’ Meeting
- 15. Proxy at Shareholders Meeting
- 16. Participation at Shareholders Meeting
- 17. Voting at Shareholders Meeting
- 18. Resolutions at Shareholders Meeting
- 19. Adjournment/Postponement of Shareholders Meeting
- 20. Cancellation of Shareholders Meeting
PART D – AFTER THE SHAREHOLDERS' MEETING
- 21. Minutes of Shareholders Meeting
- 22. Access to Shareholders Meeting Minutes
- 23. How Long Must the Minutes be Kept
- 24. How Long to the Next Shareholder Meeting
Course content gives attendees insight into the role players; the procedures to be followed when calling meetings including, but not limited to the agenda; proxy; notice; quorum; record dates; participation at shareholders meeting; shareholders’ rights; shareholder activism; voting; adjournment/postponement/cancellation of AGM and King IV™ recommendations.
EXTRACTS FROM PAST DELEGATES' EVALUATIONS
- • Thank you for great insight into engagement with shareholders.
- • The manual provided includes very interesting facts.
One Full day 09h00 – 16h00
* The King IV ™ Report on Corporate Governance for South Africa 2016, Copyright and trademarks are owned by the Institute of Directors in Southern Africa and the IoDSA website link is: http://www.iodsa.co.za/?page=AboutKingIV