- Differences between round robin resolutions and taking resolutions at board meetings.
What is meant by a quorum and proxy (incl. whether a director can appoint a proxy?)
- Declarations of interests.
- Numbering of resolutions.
- Voting – who can vote, how many votes are required to approve a resolution.
- Understand the governance of meetings and the duties of directors ito the Companies Act.
- Samples of case law and practical examples on the use of minutes in law.
- Importance of recording who attends meetings, maintenance of attendance registers etc.
- Obtaining the approval from attendees as to whether the meetings can be recorded electronically, and the pro’s and con’s thereof.
- Understand what skills are required by a minute taker in order to take effective minutes.
- Understand what content should be recorded.
- General complaints and challenges minute takers face.
- The responsibilities of company secretary in regard to assisting in the drafting of the agenda, matters arising/action lists and annual meeting planners.
- Learn how to record formal minutes (Board, Committee, Associations, Exco)
- Understand formal meeting procedures.
- Identify and minute action items and resolutions.
- Drafting a meeting management process / timeline to suit your organisation.
- Understand the importance of transcribing accurate minutes and the role of the minute taker in the meeting.
- The most informative lived experiences shared with exceptional recommendations – Janis Jordan (Exxaro);
- It was a moment of unlearning and relearning. Insightful and challenging. – Athi Majija (Cape Peninsula University of Technology);
- Very empowering course. Grateful to have been part of and looking forward to put to practice what I have learned – Zama Mthethwa (Yellowwoods Ventures Investments);
- I thoroughly enjoyed the material and the way it was presented. I realised how much more there is still to learn about governance and minute taking – Karlien Pienaar (South African Medical Association);
- The presentation was well delivered, the open floor discussions were very enlightening and helped to make the course more interesting – Nontobeko Chiliza (Andisa Corporate Services);
- It made me rethink my processes and it will definitely assist with working more efficiently. It highlights the importance of having to know the legalities to assist a board – Marietjie van Tonder (Lynx Real Estate);
- It was very insightful and I have learned tremendously. I am going to implement so much in my workplace after this course – Carien Scheepers (QED Actuaries and Consultants)